Last year, my friend Kyle was asked to work a photo booth for a college in our area. He asked if I wanted to join him since I love photography and dressing up. Last year, the party happened before Valentine's Day so I made a Valentine's themed dress. The tutorial can be found here :) Below is the before!
And then the fabulous after :)
This year the event was a couple days after Valentine's Day so I still wanted to pick something in the pink/ red family. I found this dress for $3.50 at Goodwill. I picked this dress because I liked the color and material. Oh and it clearly does not fit.
Here is the live action view of me trying on this dress and a few more that I snagged at Goodwill that day. I will admit that this was over my usual $1 budget... but sometimes you have to live a little!
So with my pink dress in mind, I started scrolling through Pinterest in search of inspiration. I came across this picture and loved this dress. I loved that it has sleeves! The downside, I had no clue how to make sleeves out of the material I had and still be able to lift my arms...
I headed to Joann's to see what material they had that I could use for sleeves. I carried my dress in and held it up to all types of materials looking for which colors matched the best as well as if the material had any stretch. I decided I liked this one the best.
For the top of this dress, I found a shirt that I liked the fit of that did not have any stretch. I then traced the outline of it onto wrapping paper. (No worries, I bought this wrapping paper when it was 90% off at Target during their after Christmas sale!)
Here is what the front of the pattern looks like.
Here is what the pattern looks like when the seams are cut into it.
This dress had a part that crossed over in the front. This cross over piece was actually double lined making it PERFECT to use for the front pieces.
So I laid out all the pieces.
and then cut it out using my rotary cutter.
I then pinned the pieces together. These pieces will not lay flat so make sure to pin them well.
The back of the dress gets a big cut down the middle for the zipper.
I had to try on the top of this dress a bunch of times to get the fit correct. MAKE SURE TO TRY ON THE DRESS. The neckline was a little too high and the arms were a little too wide so both had to be trimmed.
Then with the rest of the skirt, I cut 22" out to make the bottom of the skirt. The top part is what I made the back piece out of. *Not pictured, I also cut a 2" waistband and pleated the skirt.
And now we are ready to get set up! You can see me on the computer screen being the model to help test lighting.
Here we are together, year 2 together in the photo booth!
and then a silly selfie. Kyle might have a way better camera than I do, but I have a significantly better back drop holder than he does! (In case you happen to be looking for a photo back drop holder, here is the one I have: LimoStudio Photo Video Studio 10Ft Adjustable Muslin Background Backdrop Support System Stand, AGG1112 )
And here is my silly dancing video of the dress in motion!
Hi! I'm Katie. I am a fun loving, adventurous DIY-er, designer and artist. You can find my artwork here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/3000yardsofthread