I posted this question:
What are your 3 tips for How to make Etsy your full time job?
here is the full post:
1. Do not put all your eggs in one basket. Have multiple places to sell your items/services or goods.
2.Do something you love
2a. Sell something that people would want to purchase.
3. Think about what your users want and how they would use them. I am extremely visual and can usually think of about 100 uses for anything. Most people do not have this talent and need for you to tell/ show them.
4. Do it everyday
5.Treat it like a full time job
6. Make a set number of hours per day/week to work on your business.
7. DON'T GIVE UP.
8. Be willing to learn all you can about doing business online and off.
9. Connect with people who are doing similar projects.
10. "Be sure it is physically possible to produce enough stock to actually make enough to live on. For example, if you knitted hats, and made $5 per hat more than all costs.. you need to be able to knit 20 a week to bring in $100."
11. Find your niche market (and remember that it is ok if other people ave already found it first. Think of how many songs there are out there and yet, we can still think of new music everyday)
12. Come up with products/service you can produce in a reasonable amount of time.
I don't actually like this one but I will note it:
- Have a well written detailed business plan, financial plan and marketing plan.
*I don't agree with this comment because I think people can get way too wrapped up in the details and forget to enjoy their product. For instance, when I started my store 3000yardsofthread
I started selling notebooks and Valentine's Day cards. Now, one year later, I sell cards, nursery art work, cat toys and more. If I had spent all that time upfront writing a well written business plan I would have:
1. wasted time
2. wasted my efforts
3. become EXTREMELY discouraged
4. and had to rewrite it all over again as my business grows and changes.